Re: Word Delimited Query Replace

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Word Delimited Query Replace
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:52:45 +0300

>> BTW, I discovered a UI problem: to prepare the patch it was necessary
>> to rename the string "default" but not its plural form "defaults" in
>> read-regexp.  So I selected the region around the body of read-regexp
>> and typed `C-s default C-u M-%'.  The C-u prefix argument of query-replace
>> means to replace only matches surrounded by word boundaries, but while
>> implementing isearch-query-replace a few years ago we missed this case,
>> so currently isearch-query-replace just ignores it.
>
> IIUC the right way to do it is to use M-s w during the search to toggle
> isearch-word, after which M-% should DTRT (just like M-% in regexp
> isearch requests a query-replace-regexp).

Currently, M-s w is broken, and I'll will try to fix it.  But even after it
is fixed, I think it would be good to provide two ways to run word replacement
from isearch, exactly as we already provide two ways to run regexp replacement:

regexp search/replace: C-M-s M-% and C-s C-M-%

  word search/replace: M-s w M-% and C-s C-u M-%

> Also, are you sure your patch works?  As far as I can tell, C-u
> currently leaves isearch, and I don't see anything in your patch that
> would change it.

I have isearch-allow-scroll=t, and it allows C-u to not leave isearch.
Perhaps this should be the default behavior.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/