Re: suspend-tty

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: suspend-tty
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:39:00 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:15:46 -0400
>
> In the case of server.er, I believe it's used as follows:
> When emacsclient receives a SIGSTOP (aka C-z), it sends a message to the
> Emacs process, which then calls suspend-tty, which basically puts the
> corresponding terminal object in a special state that prevents Emacs from
> reading&writing to/from that tty.  Then the Emacs process sends
> a message to emacsclient to suspend itself (so the shell from which it
> was started is told that the suspend has taken place).

And the purpose of all this jumping through the hoops is...?  If it's
just for suspending emacsclient, why isn't it enough to let the normal
SIGSTOP handler do its thing, i.e. suspend emacsclient itself? why is
there a need to suspend the Emacs terminal as well?  What am I
missing?

> It was probably free for use by other programs, but no other program was
> told to use it.

So the only way to use that terminal is for some other program to open
it for I/O?

> For me, the docstring seems to say "clearly" what the function does.

It says clearly what the function does (remember that I also read the
sources, so I knew what it does even without the doc string), but what
I was looking for was something else: who would need to call it, and
why.  IOW, I looked for a simple use-case for this API.