RE: suggestion: add link to Emacs manual node `Bugs' in report-emacs-bug

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: suggestion: add link to Emacs manual node `Bugs' in report-emacs-bug instructions
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:36:01 -0700

> Just insert a text button, try this
> (defun insert-bug-info-link ()
>   (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
>     (insert-text-button "Reporting Bugs"
>                         'action
>                         (lambda (btn)
>                           (info-other-window "(emacs) Bugs")))))
>
> I think the best would be to install such a change right now. It will
> help getting Emacs 23.1 out of the door.

I didn't try it, but if it works, sounds good - send a patch perhaps?

However, it would be better for the button to say "Bug Report Guidelines" or
some such, to let users know that it will show them information that will help
them fill out a bug report. It is not so much an action button as a button/link
that displays additional information, and its label should let users know that.

[FWIW, I disagree that we should now be getting 23.1 out the door. From what I
see it is far too unstable and still has tremendous bugs. I haven't had much
luck in debugging or tracking down the problems I see, but for my own
one-buffer-per-frame-by-default use it is, well, completely unusable. Not a
complaint, just a judgment that IMO it's nowhere near ready to "get out the
door".]