Re: Recent CVS Emacs breaks color-themes

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Recent CVS Emacs breaks color-themes
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 23:58:55 -0500

On Fri, Oct 03 2008, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>, martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> (font_matching_entity): Reflect ATTRS in font selection.
>> (font_find_for_lface) [HAVE_NS]: Don't ignore case.
>
>> There's something strange with that change.  The lines
>
>>      ASET (spec, FONT_TYPE_INDEX, ftype);
>>      ASET (spec, FONT_SIZE_INDEX, size);
>
>> before line 2802
>
>>    font_add_log ("match", work, entity);
>
>> disappeared.  I don't have the slightest idea whether that's of
>> any importance.  Moreover, "spec" should probably become "work"
>> here.  Handa-san?
>
> That disappearance is because of Adrian's change just a few
> font_matching_entity now uses "work" and don't modify
> "spec", the above two lines are not necessary.
>
> And, the code I checked in had a problem of not setting font
> size of "work", but that is already fixed by Adrian too.
>
> By the way, Adrian, please add ChangeLog entry for them:
> (Just saying "Fix previous change" is ok).
>
> So, I don't know what is wrong with the current code, and I
> can't reproduce your problem even with this setting of
> yours:
> *FontBackend: xft,x
> Emacs.FontBackend:    xft,x
> emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-9

        I have those settings in my X resources file for emacs wrt
 fonts.  I start emacs on Debian with
 %  emacs -Q
 I have

/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-snapshot/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme.elc
 The key strokes to see the issue are:
c o l o r - t h e m e <return> <escape> x c o l o r
- t h e m e - d e e p - b l u e <return> <help-echo>
<escape> x v i e w - l o s s a g e <return>

        The first C-x b <return> puts me in the *scratch*
 buffer. Everything in the buffer is readable at that point. I load the
 color-theme package, and load the deep blue color theme, and now every
 character in the buffer is replaced by an square box.

        This happens every single time here. I can provide the
 color-theme.elc file (also found in the Debian package emacs-goodies)
 to help in debugging.   I tried attaching the color-theme.el file, but
 the mail bounced (I suspect due to size)/

        Please send me mail off-list if you want me to send you a copy
 of color-theme.el.

        manoj
--
Death tugs at my ear and says: "Live, I am coming." Oliver Wendell
Holmes, Sr.