Frame size changes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Frame size changes
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:54:31 -0400

For a while, there's been a bug regarding erratic frame sizing: see
bug#598, possibly also bug#708.

I've been able to reproduce this using the Terminus font (for those
using Debian or Ubuntu, this is from the xfonts-terminus package).  When
this font is used, the initial frame size is unpredictable.

This seems to arise from ConfigureNotify events that Emacs receives,
which causes its frame size in rows/columns to change (because of the
ConfigureNotify event, handle_one_xevent (xterm.c:6774) calls
xg_frame_resized (gtkutil.c:642), which changes the frame size.

I don't know why these ConfigureNotify events are issued.  It's strange,
because none of the changes during the startup process ought to change
the number or rows/columns in the initial frame.  Another strange thing
is that this happens with the Terminus font, but not other fonts I've
tried.

Does anyone have ideas about what's causing this?