Re: japanese vs. chinese fonts

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: japanese vs. chinese fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:45:04 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> What does :lang really mean, anyway?
> > Fontconfig has it's own database to decide which font is for
> > which language.  The database maps each language to a set of
> > characters that a font must support to claim that the font
> > is for that langauge.

> So I think this problem should be pushed up to fontconfig's team.

I'm not sure.  It's not wrong that fontconfig decides that
the font support Japanese.  Perhaps, the problem should be
reported to the font developper not to include ungly glyphs
in a font.  Fontconfig can't know how ugly glyphs are.

By the eay, I'm not familiar with fontconfig's configulation
file, but aren't their a way to customize fontconfig to
refuse that font as a Japanese font?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden