Re: find-file takes forever on slow network file systems and very deep d

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: find-file takes forever on slow network file systems and very deep directories
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:05:51 -0400

> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to avoid such a significant
> performance hit (15 sec for a simple `find-file') on Samba volumes, as
> opposed to just 2 seconds in Emacs 21.x, which didn't automatically
> have `vc-find-file-hook' on the `find-file-hook' list?

> If there's no good cure, we should at least provide a user option to
> avoid putting `vc-find-file-hook' on `find-file-hook', or maybe allow
> finer-grain control of it, like per filesystem.

AFAIK, the same happened under Emacs-21.  The only difference is the
number of backends we check, as well as the fact that most/all the new
backends need to look at parent-dirs whereas the older backends only
need to look at the current dir.

Currently, there are 2 ways to control this problem:
1 - Trim vc-handled-backends so it only includes backends about which
    you care.
2 - Set vc-ignore-dir-regexp to turn off VC in your Samba subtree.

-- Stefan