Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:41:22 +0200

Hello Thomas,

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:28:45 +0200, address@hidden said:

tomas> But I would be wary of pulling in a full-fledged XML machinery
tomas> just to edit (pure) PHP source just because it is sometimes
tomas> embedded in (X)HTML templates. And I would be --uh-- rather
tomas> uneasy being told this to be "imaginary problems".

The line has to be drawn at a point. We probably all agree that emacs
memory consumption is sufficiently low with respect to current
hardware. So I beleive this should not drive out features that make
emacs DTRT when visiting a file.

tomas> As an analogy, I'm regularly irked by reglar GNU/Linux distros
tomas> installing Avahi-this or Evolution-that just because I want
tomas> a music player or a task calendar. I try to avoid those
tomas> packages which pull in half-a-world of stuff I don't need.

I think this a different kind of problem (persistent storage
consumption). And some distros offer you to choose dependency at build
time, through build flags. Distros you are talking about are probably
designed for ease of use and least surprise, and I bet they perform
very well in this field. Aren't they ?

BTW, I hope we can get emacs distribution more modular during next
cycle, so that you would not have to download and build a complex php
mode if you never edit php.

--
  Paul