Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:46:42 +0900

> > I'd recommend to use `decode-coding-string' and `insert' instead of
> > `decode-coding-region', if unsure.

> Why? you can always set-buffer-multibyte to the right mode, at least
> in Emacs.

Yes, we can.  But I'm anxious of that those who are not familiar with
Mule cannot decide which is the right mode.

For example, Gnus' *Original Article* buffer has been multibyte for
decade, despite the content is byte stream.  Stefan has proposed to
change it to unibyte, though.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/90761

> Again, operations on buffers are much more efficient in Emacs than on
> strings.

Oh, I'll try to do profile later.

Regards,
--