Re: Word wrapping and long lines

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Word wrapping and long lines
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:53:41 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Given that almost no code seems to use the margins, I think it might be
>> reasonable to change their locations without bothering about backward
>> compatibility.
>
> I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I have the nagging feeling
> that GUD's use of the margin for breakpoints was part of the motivation
> to move the margin to the outside.  I don't think just switching it is
> the right answer.

Hmm, what difference does it make to GUD which side they're on?

In practice, of course, gud doesn't even seem to encounter the issue --
it uses the fringe for breakpoints on X, and though it uses the left
margin for breakpoints on terminals, there's no left fringe at all in
that case.

-Miles

--
Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.