RE: faces and face variables

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: faces and face variables
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:04:51 -0700

> > But I don't agree that face variables are or should be
> > "deprecated" or that all uses of face variables are
> > necessarily "fossils".
>
> 99% of "face variables" in existing code are not used the way you
> described, but instead are pointless frippery.

I never suggested otherwise. In fact, I said the same thing.
And I said clearly that all such fossils should be removed
from the existing code.

Again:

 IOW, let's not confuse the effort to remove such fossils
 from the Emacs code with the idea that no one should ever
 use face variables. Use them in the (rare) cases where
 they are useful; don't use them otherwise.

> As richard said, there can be cases where a variable
> referring to a face is called for -- but there are almost
> _always_ considered exceptions to any given rule; that does not
> make the rule wrong for the general case.

Again, that's just what I said. Please reread. No one has
claimed that the rule is "wrong for the general case".

And Richard didn't say that, BTW - I did. He merely
acknowledged that there might be such cases, and that the
particular use case I pointed out is reasonable.

The point is that we should not just provide the rule, but
also explain it. And to do that in the Elisp manual, not just
in some source code comments somewhere.