Re: faces and face variables

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: faces and face variables
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:09:29 -0400

"Roland Winkler" wrote:

> dired.el defines both the faces it uses (like dired-header) and it has
> face variables like dired-header-face. Is this strategy still
> appropriate for new code? Or is it better to use the faces only?

E.g.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg01589.html

    ...variables pointing to faces are generally deprecated unless
    maybe they're used in font-lock rules where avoiding the ' can be
    marginally convenient.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg01660.html

    Maybe we should work harder to document the fact that we do not
    want such variables.

Echoing your suggestion.

> Font-lock also has such variables, and the code contains the comment
> that these variables

Don't use font-lock as an example, it's a law unto itself for
historical reasons.