RE: Please don't cross-post bug reports to emacs-devel

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Please don't cross-post bug reports to emacs-devel
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:35:30 -0700

> > I see you figured out X-Debbugs-CC; but why are your issues all so
> > important that they should be discussed on two mailing lists?
>
> If there are two mailing lists, and they have identical subscriber
> lists, then there is no sense in posting to both lists.  Of course, if
> the subscriber lists are identical, then why have two lists
> in the first place?
>
> You see where I'm going with this?

IMO, whether the subscriber lists are identical or not is irrelevant. I am
subscribed to both but want separate lists. Separate lists help a subscriber
more easily do different things with messages received from the different lists.
Lists should be defined based on their intended content.

However, I agree that there is little sense in ever posting (or replying) to
both emacs-devel and the Emacs bug list(s). (Regardless of whether their
subscribers are the same.) Pick the most appropriate list and post to that one.
Occasionally, a thread might be moved from one list to another, but there is
rarely a good reason to cross-post.

Count me out of any possible followups to this, BTW - it's fine with me if
others don't agree.