Re: bug#914: In CVS Emacs, calc-eval gives multiplication higher precid

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: bug#914: In CVS Emacs, calc-eval gives multiplication higher precidence than division
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:59:38 -0500

First of all, we really need to make sure that any follow ups to any
branches of this thread are not sent to emacs bugs.

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> The original bug report was about this
>
>   (calc-eval "1 / 2 * 1000")
>
> Calc treats this as 1 / (2 * 1000) which is just plain wrong.

That's overstating it.

> I have never seen a mathematician treat it that way - though I have
> seen many pupils doing that.

While there may be counterexamples, I have never seen a mathematician
write 1 / 2 * 1000 when he means (1 / 2) * 1000.  Leaving off the
paretheses may be parsable in many languages, but it's poor style in
mathematics.
The Calc shortcut under discussion has been around for 20 years and
there have already been lengthy discussions about it.  I don't know why
it's being rehashed again.