Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: joakim
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:58:48 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I proposed years ago that we extend Emacs to the point where it can
>> function as a word processor.  This is mainly a matter of adding
>> features that let you put things in a buffer (and save them in files)
>> to get various kinds of formatting effects.  To display web pages is
>> an even more distant goal; it requires MORE new buffer and display
>> features.
>
> That's assuming we rely on the Emacs redisplay engine.  The approach
> being discussed in this thread is to embedding the output generated by
> an external browser library in an Emacs window.
>
> Basically, this involves being able to tell an Emacs window not to draw
> the usual Emacs display, but to display the output from an external
> process (an embedded browser process) instead.  I think it's very
> feasible, assuming someone has the time to do it.  The bottleneck here
> is manpower.

Again I want to shamelessly promote my project:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsXembed

I havent worked on it lately, but this thread is starting to make me
want to prove that its possible to embed a browser.

The thing that actually stopped me from demoing browser embedding,
rather that video etc, is that I didnt find a browser which supported
being embedded with xembed. It shouldnt be a big problem, though, to
modify a gnome based browser to use a xembeddable widget as main
window.

My primary aim for embedding isnt actually browsers: its for embedding
stuff like Inkscape, multimedia apps, and make music guis for csound and
supercollider etc, so thats why I havent done anything more for browser
support.

--
Joakim Verona