Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 06:32:02 -0700

    Paul> T. V. Raman wrote:
    >> Persoanlly I'd prefer the embedding to go in the other
    >> direction, i.e. embed something like Webkit inside Emacs,
    >> ask Webki to render the Web into an emacs buffer, and
    >> enable full DOM access from Emacs Lisp.
    >>
    >> This way security sandboxing can be per whatever webkit
    >> does, and emacs which typically runs with more previleges
    >> wouldn't have to worry about code that comes from the
    >> network doing unsafe things.
    Paul>
    Paul> And this approach would appear to have a platform
    Paul> independent nature, highly appealing.  I don't know
    Paul> anything about Webkit.  Are you talking about adding
    Paul> Webkit to the C level of Emacs, doing an Emacs Lisp

Linking in Webkit at the C level, possibly as a shared library.
    Paul> binding to Webkit (probably running in a separate
Webkit should run in a separate process, I'd go so far as to run
a separate, new process for each Emacs buffer that one associates
with the Web. So  putting a buffer in web-mode would
automatically have that buffer talking to a fresh webkit process,
a la tabs in Chrome.

    Paul> process or mulitple processes ala Chrome) or something
    Paul> else?

If you search for Webkit and Emacs, someone out there has
apparently succeeded in doing a very early pass at this via the
GTK binding for Emacs. But for such a binding to be truly
valuable from the emacs side, ie more than screen-dep, we would
also need Lisp access to the DOM.

--
Best Regards,
--raman