Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 03:03:41 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Richard M. Stallman writes:
 >     The alternative would be to simply declare that Rmail/mbox will *only*
 >     handle multipart and text/plain media, and ignore all the rest.  But
 >     that seems a shame when Emacs is quite capable of handling a wide
 >     variety of media types, including text/html, text/rich-text, image,
 >     audio, and even video (at least with the help of external players).
> > I am still lost. You seem to allude to some difference between
 > text/plain and text/html which I am not aware of.

It's the same difference as between text/plain and any of the other
media types mentioned: you will cannot preserve all the information in
a text/html part while saving it in mbox format.

Rmail/mbox must be prepared to decode a message each time it is
presented.

I think that we are saying that the Rmail/mbox message presentation
buffer should decode as much of the MIME pieces as it can.  The task
here is to make the Rmail/mime contributions a first class part of
Rmail.  The developer with the initials "as" started that ball rolling
with (p/r)mailmm.el which is apparently based on Alexander Pohoyda's
work.  This is the direction I plan to take. Comments?

-pmr