Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:16:55 -0400

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Francis Litterio wrote:
>> CVS Emacs built and running on Windows XP seems to perform some network
>> operations that cause a ~60 second pause after the initial window is
>> drawn and before the Welcome screen appears.

> Thanks. Is this when you start with default emacs?
>
>   emacs -Q

Sorry for omitting that.  It happens when I run both "emacs -q" and
"emacs -Q".

BUT ... your question has led me to discover an additional strange
symptom: If I wait the ~60 seconds for Emacs to display the Welcome
screen, then terminate Emacs using "C-x C-c", then restart Emacs less
than ~20 seconds after terminating it, it starts without any pause!

It is acting as if the information from the domain controller may be
cached by Windows locally, so that the call to LsaLookupSids() is very
fast when the information is in the cache, but after ~20 seconds, the
domain controller is again contacted over the network.  Just a theory.
--
Fran