RE: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:20:05 -0700

> >> I wonder if reversing like that is a good idea. Negation is
> >> sometimes a very confusing operation for our brains. If you
> >> have seen people struggling with logic expressions which they
> >> try to match what they want you have probably seen how confused
> >> they can be. (And I believe negation
> >> is even more confusing when we are stressed.)
> >
> > We're talking about setting a preference, here. This is
> > pretty much a one-time operation: You either want `delete'
> > to send to the recycle bin or you want it to delete. Whichever
> > you choose, `S-delete' does the other. Nothing complicated
> > about this. No one will need to struggle with any logic
> > expressions. ;-)
>
> Didn't you say that you were using different systems? ;-)

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

> And since `dired-internal-do-deletions' just says "Delete ..." I think
> it can be hard ...

I don't know whether any doc or prompts would need to be modified. I doubt it
(except for some doc describing `delete-by-moving-to-trash'). It is not uncommon
on Windows to have prompts refer to "delete" and "deletion" even though the
actual behavior is to send a file to the Recycle Bin.

All this is about is letting users define what "delete" means. There are two
kinds of deletion in this model: (1) send to Recycle Bin, (2) delete
permanently. The option `delete-by-moving-to-trash' binds one key to #1 and the
other key to #2. Both kinds of deletion are always available by key.