RE: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:56:10 -0700

> Can we have another dired keybinding for move-file-to-trash?
> (e.g., `b', with companion `% b'. This can be called dired-do-bury).
>
> IMO, both delete and move-file-to-trash are useful.

Yes, they are.

On Windows (not in Emacs), by default (you can change this by configuring the
Recycle Bin) the `delete' key sends a file to the Recycle Bin and `S-delete'
deletes it permanently (after confirmation).

Personally, I use `S-delete' on Windows 99% of the time. I would like to be able
to configure the Recycle Bin to have `delete' and `S-delete' just swap places
(so I'd use `S-delete' only 1% of the time, when I wanted to use the recycle
bin), but the only configuration alternative, AFAIK, is to have deleted files
never go to the Recycle Bin.

For Emacs, we could do this: By default, `delete' deletes the file and
`S-delete' sends it to the Recycle Bin, but with non-nil
`delete-by-moving-to-trash' these would be reversed: `delete' would send to the
Recycle Bin and `S-delete' would delete the file (a la Windows).