Re: Release plans

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:20:09 -0400

>    it would be very nice, performance-wise and semantics-wise, to
>    be able to address the database from lisp directly rather than
>    going through the serialization bottleneck to a sub-process.

> I think you've got it backwards; in any system involving Emacs (of
> the current design), the serialization bottleneck is Emacs `eval'.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  In the case of something like
Semantic, if parsing in Elisp is too expensive or if you want to use
some existing C code to do the parsing, the bottleneck you'll have to
handle is that the external process can't directly access the buffer's
text, and it can be very costly to pass that text to the subprocess and
then process the returned value (which may look like a list of text
properties to add to various parts of the text).

A DLL could be significantly more efficient.  The difference can be as
large as "on-the-fly" vs "batch".

        Stefan