Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:16:25 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:43:22 +0100
> From: "David House" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> 2008/8/29 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > That's why we have customization in Emacs: because some people's needs
> > are different from others'.
>
> That doesn't negate the need for good defaults, thought.

I didn't say otherwise.  All I said was that a feature introduced just
a couple of months ago and which is not unanimously thought to be a
good one, should be left as optional until we have enough user
experience to make it the default.

> So far, the only valid argument I've heard in favour of bypassing the
> Recycle Bin is to conserve disk space. The argument for not bypassing
> the Recycle Bin is that occasionally users may be surprised that their
> files have been fully deleted, and may lose important information. It
> seems to me that the second argument outweighs the first.

We are talking about Emacs here.  Emacs behavior was always that it
deletes a file, not moves it somewhere.  So any change in that
behavior _by_default_ will surprise Emacs users.