Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:45:04 +0100

Frank Schmitt wrote:

> They do? For me selecting text with the mouse (and doing nothing else)
> and then pasting with Sift+Insert works in Emacs, Firefox, KDE
> programs...

Peculiar. Firefox, or at least Iceweasel, and KDE Kedit on definitely
insert CLIPBOARD for me upon shift-insert.

Just in case: Are you mouse-selecting the text /in emacs/ with
x-select-enable-clipboard set?  'Cos that'd make merely selecting
the text /in emacs/ set CLIPBOARD instead of PRIMARY.

If you merely select text with the mouse /in firefox/, say,
(thereby _probably_ setting PRIMARY), is it inserted upon shift-insert
in firefox?

The other thing you could do is use a command line tool:
"xsel -b" returns CLIPBOARD and "xsel -p"  PRIMARY.

(PRIMARY conventionally (fd.o conventionally) mapping to
the currently selected text)