Re: Finding the source of Change Log entries

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Finding the source of Change Log entries
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:37:08 -0500

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:43:48 +0300 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> IIUC, change-log-find-tag is already in CVS, but with a different name,
JL> it was renamed to change-log-goto-source for consistency with
JL> diff-goto-source.
>>
>> change-log-mode now supports next-error.

JL> I noticed one difference comparing with the standard behavior of
JL> next-error.  In ChangeLog files it doesn't switch to the source
JL> buffer: after calling `next-error', point stays in the ChangeLog buffer
JL> instead of using pop-to-buffer to switch to the source buffer.

Unfortunately I think making that change would have broken
`change-log-goto-source', so I run an extra `find-file' after
`change-log-goto-source'.  Take a look and see if it works for you.  It
may be more appropriate with find-file-other-window to keep the
ChangeLog visible.

JL> Also I think it is more useful to navigate by entries instead of file names,
JL> (i.e. using change-log-start-entry-re instead of change-log-file-names-re).

I had that originally, but it's very common to have multi-file commits
and visiting each file proved (to me) to be useful.  Remember, this is
to visit the file referenced in the ChangeLog, not the ChangeLog entry
itself.

We can have the behavior customizable if you like to visit just entries.

Ted