Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:24:31 -0400

>> > This assumption is only valid for Posix platforms...

--> no version control enabled.

>> > ...as this case clearly shows.  I think VC needs to limit this
>> > heuristic to Posix platforms only.
>>
>> I do not see where is the Posixness of my assumption (presumably
>> because Posix is basically all I know).  Could you explain?

> Perhaps I misunderstood, but the text above sounds like it assumes
> that if /foo/bar/baz is owned by me, but /foo/bar is owned by someone
> other than myself, /foo cannot be reasonably owned by me.

I see.  No it doesn't assume any such thing (this assumption is also
invalid under Posix).  It only assumes that a given checkout of
a project is made of files entirely owned by a single user.

>> The assumption of my heuristic is that all the files in a given project
>> belong to the same user.  Clearly there's nothing that guarantees it's
>> always true, but for "programming projects", it's probably true in
>> 99.9999% of the cases.  If the "project" is a complete OS image OTOH,
>> it's not going to work.

> Well, in that case, perhaps you need to add an option to disable this
> heuristic, since if someone is unfortunate enough to be in the alleged
> 0.0001%, she will need a fire escape.

Might be.  I'd still like to know how the OP ended up in this situation,

        Stefan