Re: bug tracker spam

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug tracker spam
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:28:36 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:11:48 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Andreas Schwab wrote:

> > automatically filtered through a spam and virus checker.
>
> OK; though that doesn't rule out extra human moderation.

Most, if not all, gnu.org mailing lists _are_ human-moderated.  How do
you think we can have emacs-devel so spam-clean?

> And if there's no spam on bug-gnu-emacs, and the tracker spam comes in
> through some other route, would we lose much by making bug-gnu-emacs
> the only way to open a new report in the tracker?

Human moderation works mainly by holding mail from non-subcribers.
This is a good policy for a regular mailing list, where anyone who
wants to participate in discussions can simply subscribe to the list.
But for a bug-tracker gateway, this is IMO not a very good idea,
because someone who wants to report a bug won't normally consider
subscribing, as from her point of view reporting a bug is doing us a
favor.  Thus, implementing your suggestion might potentially become a
significant burden on the moderator due to a large volume of held
messages that the moderator would need to review.