Strange thin with fonts in Emacs trunk

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Strange thin with fonts in Emacs trunk
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:13:30 +0200

I observe these strange things with Emacs current trunk (GTK builds).

On GNU/Linux
------------

Starting:

$ emacs --font "Monospage-12" &

then Options/Set Default Font shows "DejaVu Sans Mono" Book 12 to be
selected! and not Monospace which is in the menu too!

Starting with:

$ emacs --font "DejaVu Sans Mono-12" &

Options/Set Def... shows "Sans" Regular 12 to be selected and the
look of Emacs is not so good... and we could continue with similar examples.

On Cygwin
----------

Here in .Xdefaults (but the same is reproducible from command line) I have:

Emacs.FontBackend: xft
Emacs.font: Monospace-15
Xft*antialias: true
Xft*autohint: true

but Options/Set Default Font shows "BitStream Vera Sans Mono" Roman 15.

With

Emacs.font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-15

effectively Set Default Font shows the right font, but even in this case
some strangeness happens:

Why for urxvt, xterm [1] I can set the size to 14 while for Emacs I need
the size 15 to obtain the same identical results?

(This happens since the first week of June, after some changes in CVS.)

Cheers,
   Angelo.

---
[1] For example:

XTerm*faceName: BitStream Vera Sans Mono
XTerm*faceSize: 14