Re: Release plans

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:20:23 -0700

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
    Emacs has still no support to load shared libraries during runtime and
    IIRC it was rejected back then due to political reasons.  I call this
    crippling.

"Crippling" would imply making Emacs unusable, which it clearly isn't.

The reason for my decision is to make sure that extension to Emacs are
free.  The aim is to maximize what users can do while remaining free.

How does not providing dynamic loading maximize what users can
do while remaining free?

If they could dynamically load free libraries, surely their capabilities
would be increased.

I think you mean that your goal is to help GNU Emacs loyalists
remain free even if it means you taking a blunt instrument to
what users can do with their freedom.

-t