Re: Choice of fonts displaying etc/HELLO

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Choice of fonts displaying etc/HELLO
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:03:05 +0300

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:48:26 +0900

> >> I don't know what it would break, but that doesn't seem like
> >> particularly intuitive behavior.
> >
> > ??? Why not?
>
> Because Japanese as a language uses more than just Katakana and
> Hiragana.  You are (apparently) suggesting that \\cj match only
> characters that are _uniquely_ japanese, and while that might be an
> interesting predicate in some cases, it doesn't seem particularly useful
> in general (well to me anyway).
>
> If there's any use at _all_ for the \\c feature, then it should match
> how japanese is actually written, rather than "a random subset which
> happens to be trivial to implement from the set of data we have
> available today".

Is adding Kanji to Hiragana and Katakana is all this tirade is about?
Because I'm for it, no need to persuade me so violently.

> However the _ability_ to have characters belong to multiple categories
> is a good thing, and I think it fits the natural way people think of
> them.

Any examples, other than Kanji, where this is useful?

In any case, I think that one category should be the main one, and
each character should belong to only one such category.  And that is
what we should show in "C-u C-x =".