Re: Please fix before the release of 23.1

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Please fix before the release of 23.1
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:15:28 +0200

>>> This is a bug of emacs-snapshot, not semantic.  The above
>>> compilation error is triggered by the following kind of statement:
>>>
>>> (eval-when-compile
>>> (require 'something)
>>> (require 'something-else))
>>>
>>> The problem goes away when the lines are changed to:
>>>
>>> (eval-when-compile (require 'something))
>>> (eval-when-compile (require 'something-else))
>>>
>>> This is a regression and needs to be fixed in upstream Emacs.

>> This is a pretty serious regression, so I want to bring it to the
>> attention of the list again, in hopes it gets fixed before the
>> release of 23.1.  I think the problem is in the byte-compiler.

> If this were true, we wouldn't be able to build Emacs, since there
> are numerous instances of such constructs in the source. Since we
> can, the problem either does not exist, or cannot be as general as
> you suggest.

The problem definitely exists and is not a problem of CEDET/Semantic.

> So please try to investigate further.

Here is a minimal example to reproduce the failure:

,----[ test.el ]
| (progn
|   (require 'cc-mode))
`----

$ emacs -Q test.el
M-x eval-buffer

This will result in an error: Invalid read syntax: ")"

The error disappears if the expression is in one line:

,----[ test.el ]
| (progn (require 'cc-mode))
`----

Ulrich