Re: eshell-defgroup. Do we really need this?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: eshell-defgroup. Do we really need this?
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:30:03 -0500

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:08:04 +0200 Romain Francoise <address@hidden> wrote:

RF> Hi Ted,
RF> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Romain, can you set up build failures to be aggregated?  I can set
>> up buildbot (send me your setup if you can) for a confirmation
>> run; if both our builds fail then the Emacs CVS trunk is probably
>> broken.

RF> My experience with running this buildbot (and others) suggests that
RF> there is little value in doing this; buildbot does a clean build
RF> every time so if it fails then we can be fairly sure that CVS is
RF> broken.

You think so even considering the large amount of people that would get
this report?  I'd rather be cautious and have at least one confirmation
of the failure before reporting it.  But, of course, it's your
choice--as long as we report something.

RF> I'm not sure which platform you were offering to build on, but the
RF> standard way to set up a buildbot is to have a master instance with
RF> one builder per platform, say one for Debian, one for Windows, one
RF> for Mac OS X, etc. The instance at http://emacsbuild.orebokech.com/
RF> only has builders for Debian etch, having more would be nice.

I can set mine up on Ubuntu 6.x and 7.x and MacOS X.  Send me your
buildbot config so I know we're doing the same things.  It's probably
good to publicize these, actually, so others can set up Emacs buildbots
easily.  Maybe the Emacs wiki would be a good place to post the config?

RF> Builds are time-based at the moment: every six hours.  And it
RF> already sends mail only when the state changes, I made that change
RF> at Martin's request (it's not standard buildbot behavior).

Great :)

RF> While we're on this topic, I should note that a few weeks ago I
RF> changed the configuration of the builders to do an additional build
RF> with --without-x, it breaks often and can go unnoticed for some time
RF> because relatively few people configure Emacs that way.

Excellent.  I'll do --with-ns, --without-x, and --with-x on MacOS X and
just the latter two on the Ubuntu systems.

Ted