RE: mb-depth.el (was: Minibuffer default values list)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mb-depth.el (was: Minibuffer default values list)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:35:30 -0700

> > This breaks all existing code that uses the old names.
> > Please provide aliases for compatibility with previous versions.
> >
> > I have code, for instance, that tests
> > `minibuffer-indicate-depth-mode' and that uses
> > `minibuf-depth-overlay'.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, there's no released Emacs that includes
> `minibuffer-indicate-depth-mode' or `minibuf-depth-overlay'. It is
> silly to add a new feature and a back-compatible alias at the same
> time.

Yes, you're right.

There is a copy of mb-depth.el on Emacs Wiki. I'll remove it and post a notice
that you can now obtain it from Emacs 23.

That will require people to download Emacs 23 to get this library, even though
it works with older Emacs versions also. That's too bad, but it is no doubt
preferable to having an out-of-date version out there.