Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:23:25 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:
> David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> How about new functions for the visual movement, and binding the arrow
>> keys to that?
>
> No, we shouldn't make C-n and down do different things.  That would be
> bad.

How about making new functions for the visual movement, and binding
different keys to _them_ :

Since visual line movement is occasionally useful, but nonsurprising
keyboard macros probably more important for my usual use of emacs,
I was vaguely considering doing that locally, effectively - leaving
line-move-visual on, BUT binding up/down and  C-n/p
to next/previous-logical-line, and putting the (visual)
next/previous-line on M-up/down (yes perhaps trouble on some terminals,
but my terminal seems to handle it okay)

But if next/previous-line were what next/previous-logical-line currently
are, and next/previous-visual-line were introduced to be what
next/previous-line currently are, I'd probably prefer that. Slightly
less surprising than having to use next/prev-logical-line where
next/previous-line used to suffice.