Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:34:51 -0400

On Jul 27, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Ken Raeburn wrote:

4) under Spaces, I found it kind of annoying not to have a
"new window" option in the dock menu

This seems like something it would be better if Apple fixed, since it
affects all applications.  Have you reported it to them?  It could be
added to Emacs.app pretty easily I think, though right now priorities
are on bug-fixing and code cleanup.

"New window" isn't something all applications support. For those that do support creating new windows, like Mail, sometimes you have to create specific types of windows (new message, new message viewer). I'm not sure what Apple could do in the generic case,

Ah, OK, I added it to FOR-RELEASE.  Would you like to work on it?  ;)

Actually, in my experience, the close button or equivalent on the last Emacs window causes Emacs to quit, in X, Carbon, and Windows versions; the Cocoa version is behaving differently by ignoring it.

This must have changed.. it used to do nothing and say "attempted to delete last or sole visible frame" or something like that. On the other hand, I can't find any code in the NS port that seems to pertain to this, so I'm not sure where the special behavior is coming from. Hmm..