Re: Meanness

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Meanness
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:51:11 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 17:16, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> You are exaggerating, and so are others who expressed similarly
>> extremist views in this dispute.
>
> [...]
>
>> We have a common goal here: improving Emacs.  Let's not put that goal
>> in jeopardy by emphasizing minor (yes, minor!) differences between us
>> on how soon and how completely should each private citizen switch to
>> using Free Software and Free Software alone.
>
> 100% agreement.

Agreement with strawmen is always easy.  The issue is not what software
other people should be using, but rather what software the GNU project
should be working on and support.  Improving "Emacs on Windows" is not
the same as improving Emacs because Emacs is targeted as a component of
the GNU system.  Supporting Emacs on Windows is at best orthogonal to
that goal.

I am tired of having all sorts of silly insinuations ascribed to me in
order to have people "win" their arguments.

We are in disagreement over the relative merit of having Emacs run on
Windows.  I don't see why this can only be considered tolerable when one
can prove me to be a blabbering idiot.

So feel free to disagree with me if you are so inclined, but please
refrain from putting nonsense in my mouth.  If you can't justify your
views before yourself and others without resorting to such measures,
this should make you think.

Thanks,