Re: Meanness

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Meanness
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:59:23 +0000

Hi, Alfred!

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 07:49:27AM -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Everybody here is adult enough to respect others' views on contentious
>    topics.  Let's do this.

> On cannot respect a view that concedes that doing something immoral and
> unethical is right; non-free software is always the wrong way to do
> things.

There's remarkably little consensus about which things are immoral and
unethical.  It is entirely possible to respect a view with which one
strongly disagrees; such respect promotes fruitful discussion.

But my main point was that some posters had responded to things they
disagreed about by personal attack.  I don't think that has a place here.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).