Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/leim/ChangeLog,v

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/leim/ChangeLog,v
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:42:39 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:56, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the problem happens when "cvs up" applies the
>> patches sent to it by the server?
>
> Really, I don't know.
>
> The sequence is this:
>
>  - I have a ChangeLog, apparently correct, up-to-date with the repository.
>  - I modify it, typically by adding a new ChangeLog entry.
>  - I commit in from inside Emacs, with vc-next-action followed by
> log-edit-done.
>  - I see the diff in emacs-diffs and notice that an empty line has
> been deleted. This seems to happen more to empty lines that separate
> paragraphs from date/author lines (as opposed to empty space between
> paragraphs), but I have no hard data, just a feeling.

I have just had something similar happen. An extra ^M was inserted at
the start of a line well down the ChangeLog file somewhere in the process.

In my case, Emacs prompted me to revert ChangeLog after a CVS update and
before adding my ChangeLog entry.

Everything looked fine until I next reopened ChangeLog, where the line
end inconsistency caused the ^Ms to show up. The problem could have
happened at any of these points, but I suspect the second, as that is
the only one that is not part of my normal everyday use of CVS:

1. cvs update (file was unmodified locally at that time)
2. revert-buffer
3. add-change-log-entry
4. vc-next-action from vc-dired window with modified ChangeLog and one
other file marked.
5. cvs commit (resulting from step 4).

Because the ^M is treated specially by CVS, I'm unable to check in a
corrected version without making some other change to the file.