Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 03:45:23 +0300

> SM> Actually, we should have completion for input methods.  It would be handy
> SM> for things like the TeX input method.  Currently if I hit TAB after \a
> SM> I do get some sort of "list of possible completions", but it's displayed
> SM> as a tree which is kind of hard to read and I can select one of them
> SM> from the list.  Also TAB after \rig doesn't complete to \right as normal
> SM> completion would.
>
> It doesn't work for cyrillic-translit, for example, so I'd guess it
> requires core changes to the quail code.

It works for the TeX input method because its arg `translation-keys'
of `quail-define-package' contains explicit key bindings:

    '(("\t" . quail-completion))

> The other issue is that TAB has a meaning while you're typing, so if
> you type /'TAB in cyrillic-translit, you'd get two completion
> candidates (/' and /'') instead of ’ followed by the TAB character.
> I think that's less useful to the user, since hitting TAB is so common
> in all Emacs modes.

It is difficult to find a completion key other than TAB.  But at least
quail-completion on TAB is not an unexpected key while input is not finished.

> Regardless I agree that it's useful to do this, because so many quail
> input methods have more mappings than an user can easily remember.
>
> Maybe it could be bound to M-TAB.  I don't know if it can be a callable
> function, because it needs to be incorporated into the quail keystroke
> flow.

M-TAB is not a reliable key since often it is configured to switch windows.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/