Adopting xmltok.el to multi major mode buffers

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Adopting xmltok.el to multi major mode buffers
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:06:27 +0200

I would like to change xmltok.el so that it only parses those part of the buffer that is in nxml-mode (or a derivative of it).

The parts that are not in nxml-mode should be regarded as empty. The reason for this logic is that it is the best I can come up with. Everything else I can think of will be to complicated and I think this simple logic would be useful in many cases.

Unfortunately xmltok uses a lot of regular expressions for parsing. (They are mostly used with looking-at, but that is not very important here.) AFAICS there is no way to tell a regular expression in Emacs to simply jump over a region (or several) in the buffer. I would be glad to know I am missing something there, but I am a bit pessimistic ;-)

There are about 30 places where regular expressions searches are used.

I guess the regular expressions would have to be replaced by some parsing code. But I worry about the speed and I worry about that it is quite a lot of work.

I know about two parsing frameworks, the one that comes with CEDET and Mike Mattie's parser. I do not know if any of those really fit for the requirements here. xmltok is doing a bit different job, perhaps. And the regular expressions are nearly sufficient - except for that they can not jump.

Any suggestions?