Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croati

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:24:46 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> > My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
> > are what handled before the normal input method (as
> > documented).

> I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.

Me neither.  Anyway, it is an input method handled before
the normal input method.

>>> global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
>>> no global variant of `current-input-method'.
> >
> > ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
> > when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
> > any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
> > preposition input method is also activated automatically.
> > Isn't it useful?

> This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
> method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
> variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
> input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
> `default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
> `default-input-method-list'.

Ah, I see your point.  But, I think that the preposition
input methods is a little bit different from the normal
single input method because even if we activate the
different single input method, the same preposition input
methods are activated.  Though, I'm not sure that this
behaviour is the best.  It looks convenient for those people
who switches multiple input methods but wants a consistent
key binding for inputting specific characters.  But, perhaps
most users don't switches multiple input methods.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden