Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:58:10 +0000

Good day, Alfred,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:27:57AM -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    I challenge you to write a recipe, suitable for a newbie without an
>    internet connection, how to get a GNU/Linux system connected to the
>    internet, on the assumption that any magic spells supplied by the
>    distribution have failed.  Point out where he can find the
>    necessary info, and how he could discover that that is where he has
>    to look.

> http://www.gnewsense.org/

A sarcastic patronising non-answer.  I'm sure the original poster,
without an internet connection, is just going to thank you for that, head
off to that site, say "WOW!  How could I have missed this?" and have his
internet connection working within half an hour.  If only.

What really gets up my nose in this whole thread is the attitude that if
somebody can't get G/L installed, the fault lies with that person, not
with the software developers/packagers.  Even more so, that the said
person who, quite understandibly, baulks at the unbounded time and
tedium it takes to complete an installation gets sneered at for not
"placing a high value on freedom".

And Richard, in particular, if somebody feeds the name of their system
through cut -d/ -f2 would you PLEASE not get sarcastic at them.  It
makes you look like a jerk, and it makes me feel embarrassed at being on
the same mailing list.  Surely you can ask people courteously to say
"GNU/Linux".  It happens often enough that you could put pertinent
boilerplate onto a key sequence.

So far in this thread, I think exactly one person has offered the OP
friendly help in setting up a free system.  The said poster seems to
have dropped out of the thread.  I can't blame him.

furrfu!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).