Re: visual-line-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:43:54 -0400

>> PS: My patch is just a proof of concept.  It has a few bugs.  One of
>> them can be seen when you set truncate-lines, in which case it doesn't
>> preserve columns correctly (basically, its temporary-goal-column ends
>> up being computed from the beginning of the displayed part of the line,
>> so as long as hscroll is not changed, it works OK but as soon as
>> hscroll is modified, the result is incorrect).

> Does the following patch give good results/make sense?

Not sure.  I'm not sure where is the bug, really.  If it's in
posn-point, or in vertical-motion, or simply in my Elisp code, or
a combination.  My gut feeling is that there's at least a bug in my
Elisp code and maybe also in the vertical-motion code (the part that
handles horizontal position, i.e. my new code there).

It looks like your patch presumes that the Elisp code is passing the
correct value, which I'm not sure is the case.  But it's probably going
in the right direction.

        Stefan