Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:08:53 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Then it also makes sense to convert HELLO because the section
> "Unicode charset" in the beginning of HELLO is now too confusing
> given that Unicode is now the internal coding.

> However, when I tried to convert it to UTF-8, it choked on some
> characters.  Is it the rare case where this is not an option?

That's because the Arabic chars in Non-ASCII examples was in
`arabic-1-column' charset (this charset is kept just for
backward compatibility).  I changed them to iso-8859-6
characters (of course they are unified with Unicode).

But, please don't change the encoding.  As the file is in
iso-2022-7bit, when Emacs decodes it, `charset' text
properties (e.g. japanese-jisx0208 to Japanese charactes,
chinese-gb2312 to Chinese charaters) are added.  So, the
font-selection works better.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden