Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:47:30 -0500

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:52:57 +0300 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> You could include lowercase versions since they are sometimes used to
JL> numerate subsections.  But please be careful to not create conflicts
JL> with the existing rules in cyrillic-translit like ("/i" ?і) and ("/I" ?І)
JL> where І is CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I.

How about

 ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months and section/subsection numbers
 ("/RI" ?Ⅰ)
 ("/RII" ?Ⅱ)
 ("/RIII" ?Ⅲ)
 ("/RIV" ?Ⅳ)
 ("/RV" ?Ⅴ)
 ("/RVI" ?Ⅵ)
 ("/RVII" ?Ⅶ)
 ("/RVIII" ?Ⅷ)
 ("/RIX" ?Ⅸ)
 ("/RX" ?Ⅹ)
 ("/RXI" ?Ⅺ)
 ("/RXII" ?Ⅻ)

 ("/ri" ?ⅰ)
 ("/rii" ?ⅱ)
 ("/riii" ?ⅲ)
 ("/riv" ?ⅳ)
 ("/rv" ?ⅴ)
 ("/rvi" ?ⅵ)
 ("/rvii" ?ⅶ)
 ("/rviii" ?ⅷ)
 ("/rix" ?ⅸ)
 ("/rx" ?ⅹ)
 ("/rxi" ?ⅺ)
 ("/rxii" ?ⅻ)

JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?
>>
>> OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.

JL> This is why I suggest you to move out most new rules to a separate
JL> input method, or at least reduce the likelihood of possible annoyance.

Users still need to use the method at some point.  Delaying the
annoyance until then doesn't make it any less of a problem--we're still
interfering with x/X in the secondary method.  I'll make the change in
the core method for now, and let's see if it's a problem.

JL> I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
JL> But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
JL> other sequences with the leading slash.
JL> I'm not convinced of the need of creating an exception for these two
JL> characters.  Such exceptions do more harm than good, e.g. the user has
JL> to remember which quotes require the prefix slash and which don't.

OK, I've made it /<< and />> for those two.

Ted