Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:33:38 +0300

> TZ> OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
> TZ> above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.
>
> This is the only thing stopping me.  I adjusted the accents and added
> some more special characters; here's the special characters with some
> comments.
>
>  ("/c" ?©)
>  ("/tm" ?®) ;; I couldn't find a TM glyph in Unicode

It is ?\u2122.

>  ("/rub" ?R) ;; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble,
>  new glyph may be under development

There is no Unicode character yet, but since a new glyph is gaining
popularity, we can expect a codepoint for it in next Unicode versions
(BTW, a new glyph is very similar to the glyph I designed many years ago).

And the Hryvnia sign was already added to Unicode in 2004, it is ?\u20B4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%82%B4

>  ("/kop" ?к) ;; not sure

No Unicode character, and never will be I guess.

>  ("/lev"  ?л)
>  ("/sto" ?с)

Is it more correct to write with a period as "л." and "с.", or even "лв."?

>  ("/e"   ?€)
>  ("/ce"  ?¢) ;; is this the right glyph for Euro cents?  I think so.

Yes, it is.

>  ;; fractions (non-combined)
>  ("/78" ?⅞)
>  ("/58" ?⅝)
>  ("/38" ?⅜)
>  ("/18" ?⅛)
>  ("/56" ?⅚)
>  ("/16" ?⅙)
>  ("/45" ?⅘)
>  ("/35" ?⅗)
>  ("/25" ?⅖)
>  ("/15" ?⅕)
>  ("/23" ?⅔)
>  ;; we'll have combined fractions later I guess
>
>  ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months

and sometimes for chapter/section numbers

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/