Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:16:12 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 07:25, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Well, those authors are presumably reading the Emacs developer list when
>> they are bothered about what happens "downstream" with their
>> contribution.  So they can speak up for themselves.
>>
>> There is no need to invent hypothetical people to complicate things.
>
> They have done, at least two of them; if you count me in, that's at
> least three.

I have seen no author state "Please don't change UK spellings in my
contributions to US spellings".  I have only seen general statements
of the sort "some authors might like...".

If we have authors in here, it would be helpful if they did not hide
between general statements, but explain clearly why they themselves, for
their own contributions, would prefer not to have them changed to make
them consistent with the rest of Emacs.

Maybe I am dense, but all I have seen up to now were _suggestions_ about
what _might_ make people prefer to have their DOC strings stay the way
they are.

The downside is there: it makes it harder to find stuff.