Re: "scroll-fringe"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "scroll-fringe"
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:52:36 -0400

> i've been thinking for a while about the usefulness of the scrollbar
> versus its space consumption and visual incongruity, and recently
> turned the scrollbar off.  the only thing i miss is the opportunity to
> see at a glance the proportion of the buffer that the window covers,

Indeed, that was also my conclusion when I tried it: for actual
movement, scroll-wheels, key-shortcuts, as well as things like
mouse-drag-throw work just as well.

> and it seems like that would not at all be a hard thing to implement
> in the fringes, given the right knowledge.

I'm not completely convinced it's that easy to do right now.  But yes,
it could be done with some work at the C level.  But it would only be
meaningful if it works together with the usual fringe use.  If not, then
you may as well turn off the fringe and turn on the scrollbar.

As for me, I still have a scroll-bar, but I made it very thin (changing
the scroll-bar-width frame parameter).

        Stefan