Re: Crash in handling tar files (Was: GDB debugger mode for Emacs in ELP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Crash in handling tar files (Was: GDB debugger mode for Emacs in ELPA)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:17:15 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:18:21 +0530 (IST)
> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Create a small tar file with 2 or 3 files in it
> 2. emacs -q
> 3. M-x load-library tar-mode
> 4. Open the tar file
> You see the crash (with earlier posted stack trace)

Confirmed.

Curiously enough, if you don't load tar-mode manually, it doesn't
crash (which will probably go a long way towards explaining why no one
noticed this before).

Does anyone see this problem on platforms other than MS-Windows?

> I saw another crash with the following steps:
> 1. Repeat #1, #2 from the previous scenario
> 2. Open the tar file, you will see the file listing
> 3. Position the cursor on one of the listed files and hit enter (open the
> file in the archive)
> You see a crash. Stack trace follows for 2nd scenario:

It doesn't crash for me with these steps.  Maybe here the exact
contents of the tarball does matter, at least the file names in it
(look at the Lisp backtrace).