Re: visualization of CVS commits

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: visualization of CVS commits
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:48:58 -0700

Richard M Stallman wrote:
    I see just one reasonable option: *if* there is such a thing as a "good"
    Flash video format variant (meaning that Gnash or similar can play
    that),

This is possible but it would not help.

Gnash handles an increasing subset of Flash.  It is possible to make
Flash videos that work with Gnash.  I think that YouTube videos work
with Gnash now.  At least they did 8 months ago.  YouTube's use of
Flash may have changed since then.

But that doesn't solve the problem, because many sites don't work
with Gnash, so users install the non-free Adobe Flash player.

All the more reason for the GNU project to make:

1. An ogg version.
2. A flash version uploaded to youtube.

The description of the flash version *and* the content of the
video should encourage the download and use of gnash for those
who can, and an ogg player for others.

I can picture RMS looking into the camera: "Are you watching
this using the Adobe Flash player?  Your freedom is under attack!"

I doubt many if any will download and install Adobe Flash
just to see this one video.

-t