Re: visualization of CVS commits

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: visualization of CVS commits
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:50:51 -0400

>>>>> "David" == David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

David> One problem that I see with Ogg Theora that it is intended, as
David> far as I know, for real-life movies.  Just like JPEGS are rather
David> unsuitable for screen shots when compared to well-made PNGs....

The Beeb's Dirac might handle cartoon-style animation better than
Theora, also uses the Ogg container format and is Free.  Their
implementation, schroedinger, is also Free Software.

I believe Xiph has chosen to promote Dirac rather than continuing work
on the wavelet codec they were planning on writing (Tarkin?).

Xiph also has a spec for MNG in an Ogg container, which primarily is
useful for combining audio -- such as Vorbis -- with the MNG.  That
would certainly give sharp output for cartoonish bitmaps.

I'm not aware of a good choice yet for moving vector art, though.
Synfig's format might qualify, but don't believe there is a player for
it other than the editor itself.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6